Sunday, March 11, 2012

The buzzing workers of the global economy


Think back to what you ate this morning for breakfast. Toast and Jam? Maybe some coffee and fresh fruit, or perhaps some granola with almonds. Chances are you sat down, checked your e-mail and enjoyed your food without ever contemplating what it took to bring you your tasty morning routine. It is estimated that one in three bites we consume are directly related to honey bee pollination and of the crops requiring pollination for yields, it is estimated that honey bees are capable of pollinating 96% of those. From there we look at another startling figure; Bee pollination results in a direct input of an equivalent 36 billion U.S. dollars annually into the global economy.

It is surprising to realize that we as a species rely so heavily on pollinating insects such as Apis. Melifera for our food resources and yet even now, as you sip your coffee and read this text, bees are dying by the hundreds of thousands. Entire colonies are being wiped out, their workers abandoning their hives and disappearing. This new phenomena that was identified around 2006 has been dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) and has been a rising hot topic in the realm of ecology and agriculture. Colony Collapse Disorder has seen 36% of bee colonies go extinct every year for 6 years in a row now. Luckily, bee farmers are very good at replacing "dead outs" within their colonies and so as a whole our number of colonies hasn't dropped since 2006. The problem however is that these beekeepers are losing a third of their crop a year, every year. Imagine if you were a farmer and lost a third of your crop every year for six years; How long could you keep it up? How long could you continuously recoup your losses and keep pressing on while trying to feed your family, pay your mortgage, and still have a little on the side for savings?

Compounding the problem is that we know very little about what specifically is causing CCD. We know that mites such as the Varroa and Tracheal are putting extensive stress on the colonies. We also know that the bees are getting infected with a pathogenic gut microbe as well as other viruses. The problem is we've identified and known about these stresses for much longer than the recorded colony collapses that are current; So the question becomes why are bees suddenly succumbing to diseases that they've learned to cope with previously?  


In a recently published article (January 2012) a biology professor at San Francisco State University by the name of John Hafernik made a startling discovery when a dead bee he'd collected erupted with fly larvae. Professor Hafernik had collected some deceased bees for future study, however being absent minded he left the vial of bees in his office. What he found was a complete shock, several fly larvae burrowing their ways out of the bee carcass and devouring it from the inside out; This never before recored phenomenon has provided some new answers to the global CCD question.

"Honeybees are among the most studied insects of the world... We would expect that if this was a long term parasite of the honeybees, we would have noticed" Hafernik said, exemplifying the relative novelty of this pathogen. What's even more surprising is that when Honey Bee colonies in the bay area of California were sampled, roughly 77% of them came up positive for this new fly parasite. New studies have done multiplicative pathogen accounts and come to the conclusion that it is not one simple thing that causes CCD in a hive, however multiple aspects or stresses that are causing the collapse of honey bee colonies globally. It is perhaps possible that with the infest of mites, parasitic flies and general bacterial pathogens honey bee colonies are just simple unable to cope with the amount of stress; And as a result are failing catastrophically. Hafernik's lucky find has helped propel the ball forward on understanding CCD, however we still know very little about this phenomena and until we can fully understand this ecological disaster we will have no hope of preventing it.

If we are unable to solve this colony collapse that honey bees are currently experiencing we will not only lose a convenient and cost effective way pollinate our food crops, bees also play a major role in the general health of our ecosystems. Since it's colonization by western Europeans, North America has lost over 99% of it's natural prairie lands due to habitat destruction and re-purpose, habitat fragmentation, and pollution. Ecologists are currently underway to restore and protect these unique, diverse, and critically endangered habitats; And in their efforts they've stumbled into one of the answers to these declining ecosystems. It seems that fragmented and isolated prairies have severe pollinator deficiency. These grasslands as a result have fewer seed and pollen yields resulting in a less stable and resilient biota as well as a significantly less diverse region.
Because most native plant species do not require a specific pollinator in order to propagate efforts are currently underway to provide these dying ecosystems with efficient pollinators such as Honey bees and Mason bees, which are some of the best pollinators on the planet. The problem now is that bees are in just as much danger as these prairies are and it's becoming more and more difficult to maintain consistent bee colonies for restoration projects. In order to secure our habitats and our own food bio security we must first save the real workers that make it all happen; Bees.

A quote by a man on the forefront of the fight to save the bee colonies health and future in our environment puts it all into perspective.

"Pollinators are canaries in the coalmine, and their disappearance is a referendum on the state of our environment -- a reminder of the brilliant and frightening interdependence of our ecosystem." --Dennis vanEnglesdorp

Dennis VanEngelsdorp said it best; Bees are clearly an essential aspect of our environment and are so integrating into our way of life that to lose them to CCD would yield a grim future where we're all impacted. Bees provide us with an invaluable ecosystem service and to fund their restoration now will save us billions of dollars in the future. Perhaps it's time to work for the bees as they have worked for us. Perhaps it's time to give back and help out the humble bee that brought you your coffee this morning. Because lets face it, you wouldn't have read this far if you hadn't had your morning brew.







Relevant Links:

Link to Dennis vanEnglesdorp's TED page. Read his bio and watch his video, it's fascinating.
http://www.ted.com/speakers/dennis_vanengelsdorp.html

The story of the San Francisco professor and his parasitic fly.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/01/03/zombie-fly-parasite-killing-honeybees/

The role of bees in prairie restoration
http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/60215/1/8.1.Moncada.pdf

General information about CCD from the USDA
http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=15572

12 comments:

  1. There were three things that caught my attention in this blog.

    First, one of the things that was interesting to me in the TED talk which is mentioned here is that bee colony numbers are actually staying stable despite huge losses, because "deadouts" can be replaced and new colonies rapidly reestablished. Therefore, the most immediate impact may be upon the beekeepers who are bearing these costs. The impact on this subculture and the particularity of this special culture as described in the TED talk really struck me and seems quite important, itself.

    Second, the discussion of the parasitic fly (and the associated article) were very intriguing. This is amazing how such critical discoveries like this can be made through absolute serendipity. And it seems to offer some hope that this be a critical factor in CCD that had not previously been accounted for.

    Finally, I really appreciated the discussion of prairie decline in this blog and the link to declining pollination. I think it's important to go beyond just the implications to our food system and look at the bigger landscape. However, while Honey bees may be especially efficient pollinators that could help the prairie systems, it seems that these ecosystems evolved and thrived before the arrival of the introduced honey bee, so perhaps it is more important to figure out and promote the key native pollinators that were associated with prairie systems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live Testimony HPV and HERPES is cureable: I am greatful to Dr Aire ,the powerful herbal healer that rescue me from HPV and HERPES. I was diagnosed of these disease in 2019 and because of this, i was very unhappy with my life and i went into research on how i can get cured and i saw a testimony of a lady on how she was cured from HERPES by Dr Aire, i decided to give him a try and when i contact him, he assure me that he will help me and send me the cure.I believed in him because all i wanted was to be cured, so he prepared a herbal cure for me and send it to me through DHL and gave me instructions on how to use it and after one week i should go to hospital for checkup and after one week of using the herbal medicine, i went to the hospital for test and to my surprise the test stated that i am HPV and HERPES negative and i am fully cured from the diseases. This gladdens my heart and everybody in the hospital was surprised even the Medical Doctor, So viewers Dr Aire is a God Gifted man and he can cure so many diseases like HIV/AIDS, HERPES,CANCER of all kind, PILE, KIDNEY PROBLEM, SYPHILIS, DIABETES, HSV1&2, HPV and lot's more. You can contact him through his email: drairehome@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2347036740271. I will continue to share this great testimony on the internet and all over the world for the good job Dr Aire has done for me.  

    ReplyDelete

  6. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hello everyone, sharing this testimony is my greatest happiness also to let every patient know there is cure to get rid of human papillomavirus. I was once a HPV patient for a very long time. I have been taking medications because my doc in Canada told me there is no cure except pills to control it which I have been taking. Until I found a faithful and truthful herbalist who finally cured me with herbal remedy. Everything about the virus was gone, my genital warts I have been trying to remove, they all cleared off. Here is the herbalist information to reach him via : oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome. Dr Oyagu is great and very kind to every patient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  11. it so amazing on everyone who contracted hpv to know about this 100% natural treatment which i also used to cure hpv out of my body. i'm free from this virus i found about the cure online from an ex hpv patient who also got rid of hpv with same natural treatment. everyone suffering from this virus should also inquire this cure. contact the traditional healer Dr Onokun. through his page https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1 or whatsApp +1 208 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  12. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr Onokun Herbal treatment a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv or hsv should contact Dr Onokun Herbal treatment.His email address:: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or page at:  https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1 or WhatsApp him via +1 ( 323 ) 689 3594 

    ReplyDelete